Saturday, October 30, 2010

Learning the ropes of 35mm


It’s been quite a while since I last posted – almost a month. I think it’s time to take a break from processing photos to update my blog. I have quite a bit of photos to go through since I took over 2,000 shots at Saboten Con, and then I traveled on vacation to visit my family in Rhode Island. I went out shooting every day I was there, so I have way too many photos to go through. I’ve put some up already, but I saved the heaviest shooting days for last.

One thing I did while in RI was take my vintage Canon AE-1 SLR with me. Prior to this camera, I had not shot 35mm film since high school. My dad gave the camera to me late last year and I’ve taken it out a few times shooting. I had three rolls of film lying around undeveloped, so I wasn’t too sure how well I was shooting with the camera. The camera came with a Canon FD 50mm F1.8 lens, but I purchased a Canon FD 35-105mm  F3.5 lens on eBay so that I would have a little bit of range.

So far I’ve only looked at the 24 exp roll that I shot in RI and haven’t had a chance to look at the other two that I finally got developed. (One of the original three had been exposed when removing it from the camera, so no shots came out of that one.) The results were a bit disappointing. I’m so used to the automatic features of my digital cameras that I forget there’s a lot more to think about with this mostly manual SLR.

It does have some automatic exposure settings. There is auto mode, which picks the shutter speed and aperture. I can also adjust the aperture and it will pick a shutter speed, or adjust the shutter speed and it will pick an aperture. Of course I can also choose both manually. I shot with ISO200 film, so I really had to consider the lighting. If I didn’t get a well-balanced shot, the shoots would either overexpose in spots or underexpose.

When I had the film developed, I had them put the shots on a CD in addition to the 4x6 prints. I was then able to import the shots in to Lightroom and made some adjustments. In total, I was able to come out with 10 or 11 halfway decent shots.

Below are a two examples. You can find more on my Facebook photography page or on flickr.com here:



Taken at the Cumberland Monastery, Cumberland, RI, October 14, 2010
camera: Canon AE-1, lens: Canon FD 35-105mm F3.5, film: Kodak Gold ISO200 35mm
Taken at Clarkville Pond, Pulaski Park/George Washington Management Area, Gloster, RI, October 10, 2010
camera: Canon AE-1, lens: Canon FD 35-105mm F3.5, film: Kodak Gold ISO200 35mm


No comments:

Post a Comment