Saturday, November 13, 2010

After the rain…


A few days before my trip to RI, we had some really heavy rain for a few days here in Phoenix. On one of those days the rain ended a couple of hours after I got home from work and decided to attempt to shoot some flowers with rain drops on them. I’m sure you’ve seen many photos of that before. These came out ok, but I did struggle a bit with a few things.

The optimal lighting conditions outdoors is typically 30 minutes after sunrise or 30 minutes before sunset. These shots were taken about 2 hours before sunset. I have also read that shooting with overcast skies is almost as good. Well, I definitely struggled with the lighting here. I had to really put Lightroom to work here in order to balance the lighting.

  Canon XSi, Tamron 18-270mm lens, 84mm, f/5.0, 1/100 sec, ISO 640

I was hoping to get some really good close-ups of water droplets, but it proved a bit difficult with my lens. I don’t have a macro lens for my Canon XSi, so I ended up using my Tamron 18-270mm. I love the range of this lens because I was able to get some shots of flowers high up in a tree as well as some on bushes without needing to switch lenses. I’m starting to see the limitations in the quality of the lens, but overall it’s a decent lens. I also put my tripod to good use here, hoping to get sharper shots.

  
Canon XSi, Tamron 18-270mm lens, 119mm, f/5.6, 1/125 sec, ISO 800


My girlfriend came home from work while I was out shooting and she told me about a butterfly what was just sitting on a palm leaf along one of the paths. I went over there with her and it was still there. It continued to sit in the same position for the entire 5 or 10 minutes that I stood around it taking photos from all kinds of angles.

Canon XSi, Tamron 18-270mm lens, 142mm, f/5.6, 1/125 sec, ISO 800

To see the full album, visit the set on Flickr here or on Facebook here.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots! The butterfly image is so crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Monarch. Lucky you get to see them this time of year.

    ReplyDelete